The SRS vision is to establish leading nationwide centres of educational excellence that are founded upon the highest international standards.



We will achieve our vision by:

  • Placing first-rate personal development on par with academic excellence
  • Creating a caring environment which enables students to be confident in learning without boundaries
  • Holding in balance our pride in Islamic culture and its respect for other faiths and backgrounds.
  • Empowering students with knowledge, skills and attitudes, enabling them to become national and global citizens and leaders of the future.




The information contained in this handbook is intended to answer the questions which may be uppermost in your mind as new teachers at The School of Research Science.


Please do not hesitate to call the following staff at The School of Research Science on 00971 4 6011011 any time if there is anything you wish to know.

We are more than happy to be of assistance.



What time do I start and finish work?

The school day starts at 7.15 am and finishes for students at 2.45 pm on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Extra Curricular activities are offered and there are weekly designated meetings.


What time does the School close?

The school closes at 4.00 pm each evening. On Saturdays and during school holiday (not religious holiday), the School is open from 8.00 am until 1.00 pm by prior arrangement with the Bursar and security staff. The school is closed on Friday and public holidays.




Secondary Timetable 2015/2016

Sunday – Thursday
Registration 07:30-07:40
Lesson 1 07:30-08:45
Lesson 2 08:45-09:55
Break 9:55-10:15
Lesson 3 10:15-11:25
Lesson 4 11:25-12:35
Lunch 12:35-13:20
Registration 13:20-13:35
Lesson 5 13:35-14:45


The Secondary timetable is subject to annual review and may be changed


Will I have a regular duty?

Yes. You will receive a copy of the responsibilities involved in carrying out the duties which you have been given in the staff handbook.


How do I get to and from school?

During the pre-term week, arrangements will be made for you to be given a lift to and from your apartment each day. Most new staff buy a car fairly soon after receiving their residence permit. Until that time you will find that other teachers who live in or near your apartment building will be happy to take you to and from school. It is inexpensive to hire a car until you receive your residence permit although you must have a valid U.K. driving licence.


Will I be involved in any extra-curricular activities?

Every member of staff is expected to participate in at least one extra-curricular activity per week.



Does the School have a dress code for teachers?

Light, loose clothing in natural (non-transparent) fabrics is generally the most comfortable. Skirts should cover to the ankles and should not have deep slits open from the hem. All blouses etc should be long and loose and should have sleeves which reach to the wrist and a modest neckline. Trousers are allowed in school. They must be generously cut and a loose long top or jacket should be worn over the trousers or skirts. Jeans are not allowed.


Can I take pictures of the School and gardens?

A member of staff is responsible for organising the taking of photographs at school functions. Only school cameras may be used. No one may bring their own camera to school without the permission of the Headteacher.


What official functions do I have to attend after school hours?

You are expected to attend the following functions after school:


  • parents’ evenings
  • other occasional functions as and when they occur


The timings of these meetings are published in advance on the school calendar. In addition, you will also be required to attend, as appropriate, departmental meetings, heads of department meetings, staff meetings, year team meetings and INSET sessions.


May I borrow school equipment?

It may be possible to borrow certain items of school equipment but you must ask the Headteacher’s permission first. The Bursar should also be informed as she will notify the security staff.


Can I use the School’s swimming pool and gym?

The school’s sporting facilities may be used after the students have left by staff members only with prior arrangement by the Head of PE. They may not be used during the school day, school holidays or at weekends. If you would like to use the swimming pool, another teacher must also use the pool at the same time for safety reasons. Nobody may swim after 4.00 pm to allow the pool to be cleaned.


Can I invite a visitor to look around the School?

All requests to bring a visitor into school at any time should be discussed with the Principal first who will normally give permission.



What do I do if I am ill and cannot come to school?

You should phone the Vice Principal (Mr Aiman) the night before or the school administration on 04 6011011 by 7.15 am in the morning. It is your responsibility to inform your school about the work to be set in your absence. If you are absent from school you must obtain a doctor’s note (DOHM) or your salary will be affected. You should also inform your Head of Department.


Do I need to obtain a doctor’s note if I am absent from school?

Yes. If you are away from school for 1 day, you must obtain a medical certificate (DOHM) from your doctor. The weekend should be included in this calculation, e.g. if you fall sick on Tuesday and return to work on Sunday, this counts as five days absence and not three.


What do I do if I become ill during the School day and want to go home?

You should see the School Nurse. You must ask permission from the Principal before you leave school, inform your Head of Department and organise your cover for lessons and duties.


What do I do if I want time off school?

Staff are expected to take care of such personal matters as visits to the bank in their own time. It is also possible to visit dentists, doctors and physiotherapists during evening surgeries. The Headteacher’s permission must be asked first.


For your information, opening hours for the following organisation are:


Dubai Islamic Bank                  Sunday to Thursday               8.00 am to 1.30 pm

Saturday                                 8.00 am to 12.00 noon


Embassies (are generally)      Sunday to Thursday               7.30 am to 11.00 pm Visa

8.00 am to 1.00 pm Consular

7.30 am to 2.30 pm General


General Post Office                Sunday to Thursday               8.00 am to 12.00 midnight

Saturday                                 8.00 am to 11.00 pm



How to obtain a work permit/residence visa?

You will be given the necessary forms to complete during your pre-term week. Once you have completed the forms we will deal with all the administration required.


How do I obtain a telephone?

Once your work visa is issued you can apply to Etisalat for the installation of a domestic telephone. Installation time is short. To apply you need a ‘no objection’ letter from school administration, passport copy and application form which is obtainable from Etisalat. Local calls are relatively cheap and international calls can be received and made. Telephone cards can easily be obtained to make international calls and the cost is quite reasonable, being comparable to the UK rates at off peak times.


How do I apply for a driving/other licence?

It is relatively easy to get a Dubai driving licence, if you already have a U.K. driving license. Unfortunately, it is not possible to get a license until residency has been stamped. This can take two to three months – time to save to buy a car!. Applicants take all of their paperwork to the local Traffic Department, have an eye test, make a payment and a license (usually for 10 years) is issued. The total cost is about Dhs 150.


How do I open a bank account?

All SRS employees are required to open a current or savings account with Dubai Islamic bank for salary payment.   To open an account, you will need your passport and a letter from the school (Accounts Department) stating that your salary will be deposited into their bank monthly. Until a work visa has been stamped in your passport you will be paid your salary in cash.


When do I get paid?

Your salary is credited to your account or paid in cash (staff not yet having opened accounts) on the 3rd working day of each month.


Who should I see about maintenance problems with my apartment in the staff apartment building?

Initially, you should contact the management of the apartment building. If this fails to provide a satisfactory solution to your problem then the school’s Accommodation Supervisor or Bursar should be informed.


What about pensions?

The school advises all staff to make careful enquiries about how existing pension plans might be affected by residence overseas. The DSS can give advice about state pensions and the DFES about teachers’ superannuation.


What is my taxation position in the U.K.?

If you contact your tax office explaining that you will be working overseas for at least a full financial year (i.e. April to April) they will send you an information leaflet and a form to complete.   The tax authorities should then agree that you are “not ordinarily resident” for tax purposes and send you a letter stating this. Some of the effects of this are as follows:


You will pay no U.K. tax on your earnings in the U.A.E. provided that you spend less than the maximum permitted time in the U.K. during the tax year;


  1. you may receive interest gross on, for example, building society deposits;
  2. you will probably not be eligible for tax relief on any mortgage repayments;
  • a tax rebate can be obtained on earnings from April to August as long as you fulfil the necessary requirements.


There are a number of books about the financial implications of expatriate status. You should be sure to get the latest editions as the rules often change.


How do I go about buying a car?

You will not be able to buy a car until you have obtained your work visa. There are no consumer protection laws in Dubai. Used cars in particular should be bought from a reputable agency.


Should you decide to buy a vehicle from a private individual, it is wise to have the care checked out by “AAA Service Centre” first (tel: 2858989/3470400). Once a private sale has been completed it is almost impossible to obtain any redress if something goes wrong with the vehicle or it is not as road worthy as it appears.



Do I have to show teaching materials to anyone before using them in the classroom?

You should not use any new teaching materials unless they have been shown to your Head of Department. Once you have been in school a short time, you will soon become aware of what areas of study are sensitive and need particular care and attention. It is important that you ask if in doubt. This will be appreciated in a positive way as an indication of your concern and sensitivity. Advice on the suitability of teaching materials should be sought from Heads of Departments.


What do I do if I am concerned about a student in my teaching group?

Initially, a problem associated with a student in your teaching group should be discussed with your Head of Department. Finally the Welfare Officer will be consulted if the problem persists.


Is it possible to give a student extra lessons?

SRS Policy is that there should be no extra lessons given to students after school unless previously cleared by the Principal due to extreme or urgent cases. No tuition can be given in students’ homes. This is expressly forbidden by the Ministry of Education and their guidelines should be followed at all times.


Is there a homework diary system?

Yes. Year 7 to 12 use a Student Planner to record homework assignments in accordance with the secondary subject homework timetable. Student Planners can be monitored by the form tutor to ensure their effective use. Subject teachers are also expected to use student planners to note where homework has not been completed. This allows form tutors to become aware of potential difficulties which a student may be experiencing. The Student Planner is also used to record special effort or other achievements which deserve recognition. Student planners will be monitored by the Senior Management Team to ensure their effective use.


How do I get material photocopied?

All copying is done on the machines in the resources room. You can request photocopying to be done by the Reprographics Assistant .


What do I do if a student is unwell in my lesson?

Any student who feels seriously unwell in your lesson should be sent to the School Nurse with a completed medical referral form. This does not mean, however, that minor ailments, e.g. a small cut on the finger, should not wait until the end of the lesson. Teachers must use their judgement but always erring on the side of caution. You will need a medical referral form whenever a student leaves your classroom. When the student returns from the Nurse she will give you a slip showing the time she left the Nurse’s room.


How do I check if a student is absent?

After registration, form registers are returned to the School Registrar. If students are late to school, their names are recorded in the late book by administration and a late slip issued. This should be recorded in the register by the Form Tutor.


What do I do if a student wants to go home during the School day?

No student may leave school without seeing the Nurse and the Administration. All notes from home regarding doctor’s appointments, etc are checked by Administration. There are no exceptions to this rule.


What do I do if a student wishes to telephone home during the day?

Students are not allowed to make telephone calls home except with the form tutors written permission. Only calls of an urgent nature should be allowed. The administration will allow student calls only if the Form Tutor has approved it.


Are mobile phones allowed in the school?

Mobile phones should be switched off whilst teachers are in lessons.


Am I allowed to take photographs of the students?

You may not bring your own camera into school. School cameras may be used only with prior permission.


Am I allowed to take videos in the School?

No, this may only be done by designated school staff. No copies of videos may be made without permission and no videos may be removed from school.


What do I do if a student is persistently late to my lesson?

There is no need for a student to take more than a few minutes to walk between classes at the end of a lesson. Teachers should set an example by being punctual themselves and insisting on good time-keeping from the first day of term. Whenever a student is late for a lesson, a late to lesson slip should be completed and placed in the box in the staff room. Late slips are found in the staff room.


Does the school have a uniform?

Yes. If you notice that a student is not wearing the correct school uniform you should inform their form tutor.


Students are allowed to wear one pair of simple earrings, and a watch. If you see a student wearing excessive jewellery, please ask her to remove it and put it in her pocket.



Can I telephone a parent directly to talk about an individual student?

You must first obtain permission from the Director of Standards before a student’s family is contacted directly. This applies to all written communications as well as telephone calls. There are no exceptions to this rule.


Can I write letters to or contact an external organisation on behalf of the School?

All communication with outside organisations must be routed through the Principal. Again, there are no exceptions to this rule.


Will parents ever telephone me at home?

It is not school policy to release staff telephone numbers and staff should not give other teachers’ telephone numbers to parents or other members of the public without first consulting the member of staff concerned.


Tel: +971 4 6011011

Registration Enquiries: +971569985019

P.O. Box : 57442,  27463

Dubai - United Arab Emirates


To download this file, please enter the password:

Wrong Password
WordPress Image Lightbox Plugin